How to Make Cannabutter
Finding premade cannabis-infused butter for baking and cooking is both difficult and expensive.
Few dispensaries carry it and when they do it isn’t cheap.
One of the reasons I choose to make my own is that I know what strain(s) I am using. This makes it easier to customize to my needs because while every strain will get you high, not all address specific symptoms or health concerns.
This article contains affiliate links. Meaning that at no additional cost to you, I earn a commission when you make a purchase through them. Proceeds offset the expense of operating this blog. Thank you for your support!
How to Make Cannabutter
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup (7-10 grams) of ground cannabis, decarboxylated
- SMALL CROCKPOT
- GLASS BAKING DISH
- CHEESECLOTH OR MESH BAG FOR STRAINING
- METAL SPATULA
- CONTAINER FOR STORAGE IF NOT USING IMMEDIATELY
- Step One: Decarb the cannabis Click here to learn how to decarb your cannabis.
- Step Two: Grind the decarboxylated cannabis coarsely with a hand grinder. This step can be skipped if you are using decarbed cannabis that has already been ground and used for dry vaping.
- Step Three: Set your slow cooker to low, or somewhere around 160ºF. (Tip: Avoid exceeding 200ºF to prevent burning or wasting cannabinoids. You can also add a little water to help prevent scorching. I only add 1 or 2tbsp of water.
- Step Four: Add the butter and ground cannabis. Stir every 20-30 minutes.
- Step Five: Turn off and cool. After about 3 hours, turn off the crockpot and wait for the butter to cool. Cool long enough to not burn your hands in the following step. I allow a one cup recipe to cool for20-30 minutes.
- Step Six: Strain your cannabutter. There are various ways to do this. You can line a funnel with cheesecloth and pour contents through, then squeeze the remainder from cloth or cover top of stoneware and pour into glass baking pan. The mesh bag my team and I used was wide enough to cover my crockpot so one person held the bag while another poured the contents into the pan. Restrain or pick out large pieces of flower and stems.
- Step Seven: Refrigerate in the glass baking dish for approximately one hour.
- Step Eight: Remove from dish. After your cannabutter has cooled and firmed, use a metal spatula to scrape it from the backing dish.
If you are not using the butter immediately, place in a storage container and keep refrigerated.